Biggest Roof Cargo Boxes with the Largest Capacity: Even while most automobiles have cargo capacity, it may not be enough to transport all your belongings, especially if you have children or pets or if you go camping or skiing.
Building a rooftop cargo box may be necessary to improve storage capacity, which is a more cost-effective solution than replacing the vehicle entirely.
A rooftop cargo carrier can ease visit flood troubles while pressing for a camping get-away, cross-country outings, or migration for drivers who require more storage than a vehicle’s insides can give.
Both hard-shelled cargo and delicate rooftop sacks are outlined to keep cargo secure from intrusive thieves, whereas moreover securing things from cruel climate and street rottenness.
When not in use, a soft rooftop cargo carrier is lighter in weight, easier to mount to a vehicle’s roof, and can be rapidly stowed.
Simple tie-down systems with adjustable straps, robust hooks, and zippered pockets can be loaded on top of even a naked roof without the use of rack systems. Many soft cargo carriers have watertight seams that are welded or taped.
A difficult rooftop cargo carrier, too known as a roof cargo box, requires crossbars and a roof rack framework. In spite of the fact that they are more costly and more troublesome to utilize, they give more noteworthy security for high-value things such as skis, snowboards, or other open-air gear utilized for camping or bicycling.
The vigorous outside shells are not a chance of being broken by pressing products with sharp edges or elliptical shapes since most contain locking mechanisms.
Soft roof packs are lighter, less demanding to stack and store, and do not require crossbars, but they’re constrained in what they can safely carry, and indeed in spite of the fact that numerous of the best-rated items are made of strong and weatherproof materials, they can still break or drop separated at the creases.
Roof boxes are heavier and require extra hardware, influencing the execution of a vehicle. Both assortments have a strong plan that will decrease fuel economy. A few roof boxes are outlined to be more aerodynamic.
The Best Biggest Roof Cargo Boxes Compared
Here are some of the Biggest Roof Cargo Boxes on the market for your consideration
Sport Rack Vista XL Rear Opening Cargo Box – Best Roof Cargo Box
- 18 cubic foot (510 L) internal cargo capacity
- Made from durable UV-resistant ABS material
- Rear opening for easy access away from traffic
- Tool-free mounting hardware for easy installation and removal
- Includes key and lock to secure contents in the box, and the box to your rack
With tool-free mounting options, the sport Rack Vista XL may be reached from either side or the back of a car, making it simple to grab items from a variety of positions.
The sport Rack Vista XL is UV-resistant and long-lasting, thanks to its ABS structure. The sport Rack Vista XL is 63 inches long, 38 inches wide, and 19 inches tall, and it can hold up to 100 pounds of baggage.
Thule Pulse Medium Rooftop Cargo Box
- Functional rooftop cargo box provides 16 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Rugged and durable design keep contents protected
- FastGrip quick-mount system assembles in minutes
- Passenger-side opening for easy loading and unloading
- Central Locking system provides maximum safety
The Thule Pulse Medium is a 67-inch long, 33-inch wide, and 16-inch-high rooftop freight carrier that can be opened with one hand for quick loading and unloading.
The addition of a central locking system improves security. For snow-filled activities, this unit contains 14 cubic feet of storage and can fit a few sets of skis (up to 155 cm) or three to four snowboards.
Thule Force XT Rooftop Cargo Box
- A versatile roof-mounted cargo box for everyday use
- Provides 18 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed to fit a wide range a vehciles with maximum space efficiency
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for easy access to all areas of the box, from either side of the vehicle
Made from a durable finish, this versatile roof-mounted cargo box can hold up to 165 pounds.
The Thule Force XT is designed to fit a wide array of vehicles. Its clever quick-mount system clicks into place when the box is secure and tightened, ensuring a proper fit.
Additionally, a dual-sided lockable compartment allows for security and easy unloading when needed. The 18-cubic-foot Thule Force XT can hold up to five to seven pairs of skis or three to four snowboards.
If the high-end Motion doesn’t pique your interest, you’ll have to choose between the Force XT and the Yakima Skybox.
Both models reflect the ideal middle ground for many users, although we give the Yakima a slight advantage for a few minor reasons.
To begin with, we love its latching design, which has a wide handle that opens and closes the box independently of the locking mechanism.
Sport Rack Horizon Alpine Cargo Box
- 11 cubic foot (311 L) cargo capacity
- Made from rugged, impact resistant ABS material
- Narrow and long profile is ideal for skis/snowboards and leaves room on your roof rack to mount other accessories
- Passenger side opening for easy loading and unloading away from traffic
- Easy to install or remove using the quick release attachment kit
This rooftop cargo carrier is made of impact-resistant ABS material and fits square, round, and most factory racks. This is one of the best roof box for camping. You’ll love its convenience when you go camping with it.
It includes a centralized locking mechanism and a passenger-side aperture for cargo access that doesn’t obstruct traffic.
The sport Rack Horizon Alpine Luggage Box can store five to six pairs of skis (up to 180 cm) or three to four snowboards while carrying other cargo or camping supplies.
Fivklemnz Car Roof Bag Cargo Carrier
- 【Most Safe Design】: For security reasons, we use 8 reinforced adjustable straps to keep the cargo carrier in place. In addition, equipped with free anti-slip mat to keep the cargo bag stay in place even in high speed road or bump road, no slip, no scratch to your car.
- 【Large Storage Space】: FIVKLEMNZ roof bag (46*34*17 inch) was designed to solve the problem of limited storage space in the car. 15 cubic feet rooftop cargo carrier allows you to hold 4-6 suitcases, travel luggage case, tents, sleeping bags and more. Free up inside vehicle space for more comfortable on the way.
- 【Easy to Install】：FIVKLEMNZ rooftop cargo carrier fits for any car, truck, or SUV. If there is not roof side rails on your car, it can be quickly and easily installed to roof rack in minutes with 4 door hooks.
- 【100% Refund or Replacement】：7x24 online customer support, ask us anything at any time. Backed by 30 days money-back guarantee and 12 months limited warranty.
The Fivklemnz 15-cubic-foot roof bag has an anti-slip surface and adjustable straps to hold the carrier in place without harming the car.
The Fivklemnz soft rooftop cargo carrier is a best-seller in the marketplace, accommodating everything from multiple suitcases to a full camp setup with sleeping bags and a tent.
This device is under seven pounds in weight and expands to almost a foot in height. It measures 43 inches in length and 33 inches in width.
Cargo Carrier Thule Motion XT XXL
- Oversized roof-mounted cargo box provides 22 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed for optimal space efficiency, aerodynamics, and vehicle fit
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for quick access from either side of the car
- Easy to open and close with grip-friendly handles and supporting lid-lifters
For large loads, Motion XT XXL is the best option. It has a storage capacity of 22 cubic feet and a total load capacity of 165 pounds.
It also comes with the Power Click quick-mounting mechanism, which makes installation simple and secure.
The Motion XT XXL stands out with a professional fit and finish and two-color options.
Thule Force Cargo Box
This carrier is available in a variety of capacities, ranging from 13 cubic feet to more than 21 cubic feet.
It offers incredible qualities including opening on both sides, being simple to install, and having a built-in lock for protection.
It can also be put on any sort of roof rack, regardless of manufacturer.
Carbonite Skybox by Yakima
- Fit more friends: Add more cargo space so you can bring more friends; SkyBox 12 fits gear for up to 3 people and is roomy enough for skis and snowboards up to 215 cm
- Less noise, more room: The tapered, aerodynamic design with textured lid (made from up to 80% recycled material!) reduces drag, wind noise and hatch interference
- Accessible & easy: Internal lid stiffeners add durability and make it easy to open and close; Dual-sided opening allows you to access your gear from either side of your vehicle
- Keeps gear safe: Our SuperLatch secures the lid to the base, keeping your gear safe and sound; Includes SKS (Same Key System) Locks for extra peace of mind
- Works with most racks: Fits YAKIMA round, square, factory and aerodynamic bars; Requires a crossbar spread between 24 in and 42 in; Tool-free installation with no assembly required
The Carbonite Skybox by Yakima is among the biggest roof box family. It has a volume of 21 cubic feet and a load capacity of 28 kilograms, as well as a dual-sided opening and a super latch system.
Its most appealing characteristic is that it can be installed without the use of any equipment, making it extremely user-friendly.
It has a long, streamlined form with an aerodynamic element that reduces wind noise and drag. The box also has a locking cover to keep it safe from theft.
We must admit that we were undecided when it came to selecting our favorite rooftop cargo box. With a high-end fit and quality, very easy-to-use mounting hardware, and a Slide lock handle and lock mechanism that’s hard to better, the Motion XT is undoubtedly the “best” all-rounder.
However, not every user requires the greatest, especially when “very good” can suffice for far less. And therefore, we see the Yakima Skybox on more rooftops than any other carrier: for $599 for the 16-cubic-foot model ($649 for the 18-cubic-foot model), you get robust storage for your goods as well as tool-free installation that works with most factory and aftermarket racks.
There’s a Skybox for everyone, with sizes ranging from 12 to 21 cubic feet and options including a low-clearance (“Lo”) model and a compact “12” that allows enough room on your rack for a bike or boat.
Both the Motion XT and the Skybox are made to survive the rigors of the road, with tough ABS plastic and aerodynamic forms that taper at the back to fit your car’s antenna and hatch.
However, details count, and the Yakima falls short here. The turn handle requires a touch more energy than the Thule’s and isn’t as simple to operate with only one hand (it also tends to get stuck when frozen).
RoofPax Car Roof Bag and Rooftop Cargo Carrier
- ✅ SAFETY COMES FIRST: RoofPax is the ONLY brand that produces its Car Roof Carriers for maximum safety with the Patented 4+2 extra free door hook straps (included), instead of using straps that go inside the car. Tying down any car top luggage involving straps going through the inside of the car is HIGHLY dangerous as they interfere with air bags in case of emergency and are illegal to use in some states. RoofPax is the safest and most secure Car Roof Cargo Bag on the market today.
- ✅ DOUBLE ZIPPERS FOR EXTRA WEATHERPROOFING: This premium quality car top bag is made of military grade materials with TWO waterproof closing zippers, waterproof dual seam technology and water repellent double coating. This roof bag features include a built-in protective mat and 10 elastic Velcro strap restraints to prevent strap flapping. Security features also include a heavy duty SBS zipper, 10 sturdy straps with NIFCO buckles and double strap covers with 8 Velcro stripes.
- ✅ WORKS WITH or WITHOUT a ROOF RACK: Use the RoofPax spacious 19 cubic feet car roof top luggage carrier with any sized car or SUV. It can be quickly and easily installed in minutes using either; raised side rails/crossbars/roof rack/basket and if none of them is installed - you can always use the included 6 door hook straps which attach under the door's rubber seal gasket.
- ✅ EVERYTHING YOU NEED IS INCLUDED: Our set includes the 19 cft. rooftop cargo carrier, 6 patented door hook straps/clips, a TSA approved lock, and a sturdy storage bag, offering you a better and safer solution for safely storing your car top luggage when traveling.
- ✅ FREE EXTENDED WARRANTY: Our customers mean the world to us! We promise to be there for you whenever needed, that's why our cargo rack rooftop is backed by a lifetime warranty on zippers and buckles and a 5-year warranty on tears and fabric. Our 24/7 customer care is ready to address any issues you might have in no time!
The RoofPax soft rooftop cargo carrier is big roof box than others and is amongst the best cargo box with a capacity of 19 cubic feet.
It’s built of tough materials and features dual-seam technology and waterproof double zippers.
It also has a double water-repellent coating, making it a watertight load carrier.
It also comes with a lifetime warranty on buckles and zippers, and it can be used with or without roof rails.
It has a protective pad built in and ten elastic Velcro straps. When filled to the capacity, it grows to about 20 inches in height. It has a 47.2-inch long and 35.4-inch-wide footprint.
There’s also a smaller 15 cubic-foot bag that extends to the same height but has a smaller footprint (43.3 inches long and 33.5 inches wide).
INNO BRM660BK Wedge Cargo Box
- Fits Aero, square, round, and most factory racks
- Dual side opening for easy access to your cargo easy installation
- The new track design makes it simple to adjust forward or back for hatch easy clearance provides a better seal to keep out bad weather
- Additional safety for our inno wedge boxes has a safety lock which allows you to pull the keys out once the box has been closed all the way
- Warranty: limited lifetime
If you park in a garage or in enclosed parking lots frequently, you should think hard about getting a rooftop box.
Many of these versions add nearly two feet to the height of your car’s roof (including the height of the box and the rack), which is a no-no for SUVs and vans.
The good news is that those who need to keep a low profile have a range of options. The INNO BRM660BK Wedge Cargo Box is one of the best-looking wedges in the category, with a contoured shape that provides 11 inches of depth while only rising 9.6 inches above your rack’s crossbars.
The Wedge has more to offer than just clearance: it features a high fit and finishes, with tool-free installation, a beautiful and aerodynamic form that reduces wind noise while accommodating a rear antenna and door, and a dual-sided opening that improves access and organization.
The INNO is the most low-profile rooftop box on the market, but there are a few versions that come close behind. The Thule Pulse Alpine (also 11 cu. ft.) rises 11.3 inches off the crossbars (almost 1.5 inches higher than the Wedge 660) and only opens on the passenger side, but it costs $500 less.
Marksign Truck Cargo Bag with Cargo Net
- SPACIOUS STORAGE ROOM: Measures 51x40x22 inches (130x100x55cm) and 26 cu ft, the cargo bag can hold everything you need. Fits any truck beds.
- 4 HANDLES FOR EASY TRANSPORTING: 4 heavy duty handles make loading and unloading much easier than competing designs.
- HEAVY DUTY CARGO NET INCLUDED: Each bag comes with a heavy duty 4'x 6' bungee net stretches to 8'x12' to keep the cargo bag firmly in place, preventing it from blowing up when you are driving. 12 strong metal carbiners are also included for easy and secure tie-down.
- 100% WATERPROOF DESIGN: The whole cargo bag is electrically welded from 500D tarpaulin without any needle holes. Vinyl coated #10 zipper and Velcro closed rain flap firmly seal rain out. The fabric is also UV resistant to last for years to come.
- STORAGE BAG INCLUDED: Extra drawstring bags for the cargo bag and cargo net are also included for easy storage.
So, technically, this isn’t a cargo crate. However, with a capacity of 26 cubic feet, we couldn’t pass up Marksign’s colossal alternative.
It measures 51 x 40 x 22 inches (130 x 100 x 55cm) and has enough room to contain everything you’ll need on your trip. This fits neatly on any vehicle bed for those of you with trucks.
This product contains four heavy-duty rubber handles to make it easy to move. We looked at several designs and found this one to be a lot easier to work with.
It’s waterproof, and each bag comes with a heavy-duty 4′ x 6′ bungee net to keep the bag tight on your truck.
The net measures 8 feet by 12 feet and keeps your bag from blowing up while you’re driving. To provide a solid tie-down, Marksign contains 12 robust metal carabiners.
The cargo bag is electrically welded from 500D tarpaulin without any microscopic holes to keep water out. Vinyl is used to coat the zipper.
The seals include velcro-closed flaps, so you can be sure to keep the rain out. Because the material is UV-resistant, it will last for a long period.
The cargo bag comes with extra drawstring bags for storage of the cargo bag and net as a bonus.
How to choose the Biggest Roof Cargo Box
Compatibility with Roof Length
If you have a top-hinged trunk, it’s critical that the box fits smoothly with the roof and rack of your vehicle. To begin, move the front crossbar forward as far as possible (some are not adjustable). Then open the hatch and take a measurement from the back hatch to the middle of the front crossbar of the vehicle.
That distance must be greater than the cargo box’s hatch clearance, as indicated on the manufacturer’s website. You’ll also want to make sure the length doesn’t obstruct visibility or interfere with any antennae in the front.
Setup of the Rack
This is rack 101 if you’ve never had a rooftop setup before. The mount is a component that mounts to the top of your vehicle and runs lengthwise (front to back). Vehicles typically have factory mounts such as raised rails, tracks, or permanent points.
If you’re working with a blank roof, you can either install a rack permanently or choose a system that works with the door jamb.
Two crossbars or load bars are attached to the mount through four appropriate towers and are perpendicular to the roof. Crossbars come in a variety of sizes and shapes.
Each cargo box requires unique crossbars, so check to see if those crossbars are suitable with your vehicle and mount or if an adapter is needed.
Carrying Capacity & Purpose
Look at your gear before you go shopping for a rooftop cargo box. What do you need and plan to bring on your trips? Camp chairs and sleeping bags, for example, are typically shorter or packable and fit nicely in rooftop cargo bins.
Skis, paddles, golf clubs, and strollers, for example, will require a larger box; ensure sure the boxes inside dimensions match the length of your equipment.
To help visualize the entire volume, read the width and height of each box. The gear capacity in cubic feet is also listed on the boxes (or inches or liters). The larger your group is, the more space you’ll need for everyone’s gear.
There are two weight factors to consider: the cargo box weight and the box’s weight capacity. Without any cargo, the weight of the cargo crates shown below ranges from 20 to 66 pounds. The bulk of these carriers can comfortably carry up to 165 pounds, however, some can only carry around 110 or even 50 pounds.
If you need to move bigger objects, don’t skimp on the cargo box’s structural integrity. It’s easier and safer to stow your heaviest items inside the vehicle, such as a fully loaded cooler. Weight limits for each box should be checked with the manufacturer. Check your vehicle’s owner’s manual for the suggested maximum load as well.
Cargo boxes are made of tough plastic, and a few features extra reinforcements, such as the steel around the bottom of the Thule Vector.
Others have an extra layer of protection to increase their durability and weather resistance. The Pelican BX140R Cargo Case, for example, has a corrosion-resistant coating.
The quality of the hardware, such as latches and lock systems, varies, which is reflected in the price. Overall, the weight of the box is influenced by its size and materials.
Resistant to Water
Due to a waterproof exterior and weather sealing, most rooftop cargo box designs are quite weather-resistant, and they’ll generally perform a good job of blocking snow and rain.
None of these cargo crates, on the other hand, claim to be entirely watertight. Any water-sensitive or valuable cargo should be stored in a dry bag or within the rig.
Extra features for comfort, practicality, and ease of use are included in a few of the top-shelf designs. For example, we like the Thule Vector’s inside LED lights and the Yakima CBX Solar’s integrated solar panel with two USB connections.
Last update on 2023-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API